Introducing the NEW San Francisco Comic Festival, a week long celebration of the art of Comic Book in the city of San Francisco. The event runs from Sunday May 3rd to Sunday May 10th, 2015. If you love the art of Comics and you are in/around San Francisco, this event is for you.
The SF Comics Fest is a celebration of San Francisco comics culture: Past, present, and future. Festival events seek to highlight four aspects of our vibrant Bay Area comics community:
Our rich history of artistic rebellion and comics innovation
Our unique intersection of cultural influences shared among today’s Bay Area cartoonists
Our commitment to comics education
Our responsibility to shape the future of comics through technology in a positive and equitable way
In a time when San Francisco has lost much of it’s culture in the last handful of years to economic change, it’s exciting to see a new event that is stepping up to fill the loss of our major conventions. This inaugural year will have lectures, demonstrations, costume contests and readings in bookstores, libraries, bar and clubs, and museums all over San Francisco (and Berkeley too).
For my part I am organizing the 30 for 3oth Mini-Comic Challenge at the Cartoon Art Museum on Saturday May 9th. MORE INFO HERE Were going to make 30 or more small format comics by the end of the day (with your help)!
But there are lots of other cool events happening through out the week. I have listed them below, but you can find out more at the SFCF Event Page!
Sunday, May 3
- Kids’ Drawing Workshop @ Comix Experience Outpost
- See the largest comic book ever published! @ Mission: Comics and Art
- Mangaka: The Fast and Furious Game of Drawing Comics! @ Cartoon Art Museum
- Bay Area Queer Cartoonists @ The Center for Sex and Culture
- The Fantastic Ladies Comics Club presents a Red Sonja Q&A with Gail Simone @ Fantastic Comics
Monday, May 4
- California College of the Arts Student Comics Fair @ Escapist Comics
- Mission: Comics & Art Creator Meetup: When Buddha beats Batman; a comics practice with Mark Badger
Tuesday, May 5
- Celebrating the San Francisco Underground @ Cartoon Art Museum
- Isotope University: Mastering crowdfunding with Alex Woolfson
Wednesday, May 6
_ Comix Experience Ladies Night – Science Edition
Thursday, May 7
- Comics 4 Comix @ Cartoon Art Museum
- Mission: Comic Book Club Monthly Meetup discusses Displaced Persons
- Beauty Bar Costume Dance Party!
- Two Cats talks Lumberjanes
Friday, May 8
- Academy of Art Cosplay Figure Drawing
Saturday, May 9
- 30 for 30th: Mini-Comics Challenge @ Cartoon Art Museum
- Isotope University: Writing for comics with Devin Grayson
- Bay Area’s Paint Pens Collective and Never Ending Radical Dude present QUICK DRAW SF! @ F8
Sunday, May 10
Family Comics Day @ San Francisco Public Library, Main Library